|(Nearly fully booked) Leader will be Kevin Cliffe. Today we walk from Rhodes to Chiswick via The Kokoda Track. Enjoy a SWAG Anzac biscuit with ginger and sunflower seeds.
The Kokoda Track Memorial Walkway has the following spectacular features:
Early exit available.
- Memorial Centrepiece – A striking series of granite walls on which images of the New Guinea Campaign have been sandblasted. Water also forms an integral part of the centrepiece, cascading alongside the granite walls.
- Rainforest Area – Includes a watercourse leading into a pond overlooking the Parramatta River.
- Rose Garden Entry Area – A peaceful and beautiful entrance, which features rose clad pergolas and two circular memorial walls amongst beds of roses.
- Stations – The stations are places of significance in the New Guinea Campaign where important battles were fought or events occurred. There are a total of 22 stations along the track (including the rose garden and memorial centrepiece).
- Mangrove Boardwalk – Timber walkways into the mangroves providing a feel for the vegetation in New Guinea.
- Information Centre – Audio visual hospitality centre providing “living history” of the New Guinea Campaign.
- Public Walkway – an 800 metre paved walkway linking Rhodes Station to Concord Hospital.
Location: Rhodes station, Brays Bay, Rocky Point and Rhodes station Limit: 16.